CHILDREN AND YOUTH FRIENDLY CHURCH AWARD SCHEME ©
A Children and Youth Friendly Church award means that a local congregation:
- has a comprehensive and shared vision for Children’s and Youth Work
- provides good opportunities for the voices of children and young people to be heard
- takes seriously and responds to feedback from children and young people
- provides opportunities for children and young people to be involved in planning, organising and delivering child friendly church services
- makes suitable provision for under 5s in church
- provides groups and organisations to help nurture children and young people
- takes Safeguarding, Health & Safety and First Aid seriously
The Children and Youth Friendly Church replaces the former Child Friendly Church Award as of July 2020.
The Child Friendly Church Award scheme was created after the Anglican Diocese of Liverpool carried out a review of its life and work. The resulting report made a keynote recommendation that parishes ‘welcome and integrate children and their families into the worshipping life of their church.’ Their conclusion was that it is desirable that churches advertise to the community that they take the provision for the young seriously.
The United Reformed Church’s “Towards a Charter for Children in the Church”, introduced at General Assembly 1990, challenges churches to become fully inclusive in their work with children. Churches inviting children in this way should provide a quality service which should be accountable to the church leadership and meet with certain set criteria. It encourages churches to put children and families on their agendas, to work towards certain targets and obtain a certificate and an award to be displayed as appropriate. This scheme offers a way to measure progress towards that goal.
1. A Child Protection Policy is in place, being implemented, and regularly reviewed.
2. The church buildings offer a safe environment.
3. On-going training and support for leaders is in place.
4. There is provision for children’s and youth nurturing groups (0-18 yrs).
5. There are opportunities for children and young people to be included in child friendly church services.
6. Suitable materials for under 5’s are available in church
7. There are opportunities for the voices of under 18’s to be heard
8. Feedback is obtained from children and young people.
9. There is a vision for Youth and Children’s Work
Christ Church proudly received the Child Friendly Church Award in October 2011 and we received the Child and Youth friendly award in October 2022.Charter for Children